We represent BC Meat Producers providing sustainable, safe meats to BC families. The British Columbia Association of Abattoirs was formed by the licensed meat industry in the spring of 2009 to collectively address the many challenges and build on the opportunities facing the provincially licensed A/B plants, and the federally registered red meat plants that produce meat/ poultry products for commercial markets within the province of BC.
To be effective in their mandate and work in the best interests of all licensed abattoirs producing meat/poultry for BC’s commercial markets, the Association made application to the Investment Agriculture Foundation of BC for the development of a strategic plan for the BC abattoir industry. This application was successful and the Office of Research, Innovation and Graduate Studies at Thompson Rivers University was contracted to develop the plan. Gillian Watt, (B.Sc., MBA) of Holmwood Farms and David Zirnhelt, (MA) of Stonefield Consulting lead the facilitation and development of the Strategic Plan which was presented in 2010. This plan will be updated on an annual basis to reflect the changing needs and opportunities facing the industry.
Some highlights of the plan include the Vision, Mission and Principles & Values, which are outlined below. The broad strategic objectives of the Association include:
- Build on Industry-Government Communications by serving as a significant voice of the meat industry in BC.
- Greater access to retail and distribution markets within BC for locally produced and processed products
- Innovative waste disposal
- Public education and promotion of the industry through brand development, consumer education materials to further build awareness of the local BC branded meat industry.
- Industry Communications
Click Here to download a .PDF copy of the Strategic Plan.
Click here to download a BCAA Application for Membership
Serving BC producers, to provide consumers with safe, high quality meat products.
Through a value chain approach, become a recognized provider of premium meat products tailored to meet the needs of BC customers while building a sustainable meat industry for BC’s meat producers and processors.
OUR PRINCIPLES AND VALUES
- Provide quality service in accordance with customer needs.
- Provide quality products tailored to customer needs.
- Build strong communication links through the entire value chain from producers to consumers.
- Cultivate strategic partnerships with livestock industries, distributors and suppliers, and retail and food sectors.
- Ensure food safety, environmentally responsible practices and humane treatment of animals.
- Ensure viability of the industry; the ability to make a profit while providing value to our communities.
Board of Directors:
Dave Fernie, Rodear Meats – President, Treasurer
Bonnie Windsor, Johnston’s – Vice-President
Chad Maarhuis, Magnum Meats
Jacques Campbell, Campbell Farm – Secretary
Dennis Gunter, Gunter Bros. Meats. Co. Ltd. – Director
Mike Noullet, Kawano Farm – Director
Nova Woodbury, Executive Director
Sandra Vanderbyl, BC BeefNet Manager
- Individual processors and producers who have contributed significant additional start-up funds over and above the regular Abattoir membership to develop the organization. Please contact BC Association of Abattoirs office for more details.
The BC Association of Abattoirs would like to acknowledge the following Founding members for their generous financial contributions to establish the organization to be able to continue our work in supporting the meat industry in BC.
- Richard Bell, Farmcrest Foods (Salmon Arm, BC)
- Bonnie Windsor, Johnston’s Packers Ltd. (Chilliwack, BC)
- Dave Fernie, Rodear Meats Ltd. (Williams Lake, BC)
- Richard Yntema, Valley Wide Meats (Enderby, BC)
- Mike & Larry Noullett, Kawano Farms (Prince George, BC)
- Ronald Keely, Kam Lake View Meats (Kamloops, BC)
- Ken Falk, Fraser Valley Specialty Poultry (Chilliwack, BC)
- Dennis & Harry Gunter, Gunter Bros. Co. Ltd. (Courtenay, BC)
- Bill Freding, Southern Plus Feedlots (Oliver, BC)